5 jul 2015

Surfing after a kidney transplant

Hi!

I've surfed after the kidney transplant since March 2014.

I asked the doctors who treat me in the HUCA and six months after the operation I was told that I could surf. That was great! I thought I would have to wait a year!

I can say that today physically I don't notice any difference from before, but still I have to get back fit. Technically I am surfing better than ever, and I started to improve when I was doing dialysis (although I'm not going to win any championship) but the important thing is that I enjoy a lot :)

I'm not using any protection in the area where the new kidney is located. While paddling, hip bones rest on the table, and I think the graft does not support any extra weight. I had extrange feelings the first times, perhaps because the area was sensitive after surgery, but now I don´t notice anything. 

I've been catching waves during last winter and I didn´t feel any particular discomfort because of the water temperature, which felt at around 12º C... so I can surf along all the year!

I could not remember what it was just to grab the table, the wetsuit, and going to the beach, because before, just to place the colostomy bag was taking me an hour. But I have to say that despite that time and that I could be in the water for an hour and three quarters as maximum, while doing peritoneal dialysis I enjoyed every day of surfing as much as now or even more. 

The next picture is from a beautiful day in San Juan de Nieva last Christmas.

surf, kidney, transplant, dialysis, peritoneal, colostomy
 
Good waves!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario